- Speaker placement for surround sound
- Speaker Placement for Surround Sound: A Detailed Guide from the Pros
- Placement of left and right speakers
- Center channel speaker setup
- surround sound speakers
- 5.1 speaker surround sound system
- 7.1 speaker surround sound system
- 9.1 speaker surround sound system
- Bipolar and dipole speaker placement
- Dolby Atmos and DTS: X System
- Subwoofer placement
- additional subwoofers
- Speaker placement tips for surround sound
- Speaker system test
- final thoughts
Speaker placement for surround sound
Surround sound means sound that surrounds the listener at a 360-degree angle. Everyone wants the best music and movie experience, and proper speaker placement for surround sound creates a home theater environment. You can create a surround sound experience in your home simply by placing your speakers correctly.
Surround sound systems are also great for house parties. You can create your own fun with proper speaker placement. The main objective is to place the speakers in the correct places for the best special effects experience.
Surround sound systems have grown in popularity in recent years. As television has improved, we are all enjoying our movies and shows at home more. So now that you've got a nice, crisp screen, your next step is better sound. Proper speaker placement has a big impact on your system's sound. In fact, only placement can increase the average sound.system for an elite home theaterexperience.
Over the years, I've received a lot of questions about home theater and surround sound speaker placement. So I decided to give a detailed guide here.
Speaker Placement for Surround Sound: A Detailed Guide from the Pros
So let's take a look at all the proper speaker placements.
NOTA LATERAL: If you have a soundbar rather than individual speakers, read our article on proper soundbar placement here.
Placement of left and right speakers
You can start creating your surround sound experience with just two main speakers, left and right.
- Speaker angle:With only two speakers, you'll need to start by setting them at the proper angles. To start, angle the left and right speakers towards your main seat. (which is usually right in front of your TV).
- The perfect angle for the front left and right speakers from your main seating position is 22 to 30 degrees. This is the perfect angle for placing the surround sound speakers. Of course, your actual location will also depend on your bedroom design. However, if the placement of the speakers cannot come close to this angle, then this is an indication that the room is not suitable. You may need to find another room for your system or scale down your surround sound plans. (Maybe with a soundbar?)
- Speaker height:Sit in your main viewing area and visually check that the speaker's tweeters are at ear level. If they are not at ear level, adjust them so they are. This is the proper and recommended position to enjoy clear and immersive sound.
- Relative Wall position:In addition to the height of the speakers, these two main speakers should be close to a wall. This will help create a deeper bass that will eventually bring the sound to life.
Center channel speaker setup
These speakers sit just above or below the TV, depending on the available space. To start, line up the center channel speaker in the middle. You can tweak it however you like or find it easy. This speaker is pointed directly at you. So there are no angle adjustments. You just need to be in a suitable height position so that the sound is at the height of your ear.
surround sound speakers
Surround speaker setup or placement depends on the type of room. Your room will dictate whether you can hang these speakers on your walls or place them inspeaker stands. If the room is designed in such a way that you can easily hang all the speakers, do it. So there is no need to buy speaker stands. (The added benefit of hanging them is getting them out of the way and reach of children and pets.)
However, if you can't hang them, speaker stands will work just fine. Many people do this and it is also considered to be an easy and suitable method. Speakers, whether wall-mounted or bracket-mounted, must also be positioned correctly to achieve the desired results. Otherwise, there is no difference between placement on walls or supports.
Let me share with you the best and most popular surround sound systems available.
5.1 speaker surround sound system
For the5.1 surround sound system, place the speakers on the left and right positions of the TV, facing your seat. The other two speakers are in the rear left and right position of the room, as I said in the first speaker location. You can adjust the length of the stand so that the speakers are level with your ear.
If this isn't practical for you, place the speakers a few feet away from your sitting position. In this case, the speakers do not need to match the levels in your ears. You can place them a few meters above the level of your ears. The main thing is that they should be facing you.
5.1 channel systems provide a complete surround sound experience. Most TV broadcast programs, DVDs, CDs and many other streaming sources are in the 5.1 channel system. You can enjoy this setup as a complete surround sound system.
7.1 speaker surround sound system
7.1 speaker surround sound systemsthey are simply amazing. They offer a movie theater experience. This surround sound system uses seven speakers and a subwoofer. This together allows you to not only hear but also feel the sound experience.
Firstly, choosing a central position / seating point is essential. After that, you can adjust all system points correctly. To create an ideal sound system, familiarize yourself with the position of each speaker in its manual.
- Tilt the speakers towards your seating point. All speakers located in different places must be angled correctly.
- The suggested angle for this left and right frame is 90 to 110.
- The two additional rear speakers should be at an angle of 135 to 150 degrees.
At this stage, you can check the sound. Sit in the specified place and listen to the sound. Adjust if the sound is not at ear level. Or if they're placed above your ear level and still sound great, that's fine.
Let's move on to speaker placement to take surround sound to the next level...
9.1 speaker surround sound system
This system uses nine speakers to deliver best-in-class sound. Basically, it has a subwoofer and nine speakers. It also gives a cinematic atmosphere. This will help you create a theater experience in a larger room.
To begin with, use the same protocol for the 7.1 system location as the 9.1 system location. Create a target seating location and guide all nine parts of this system towards it. If your room is designed so that all speakers can be placed on some raised wall or shelf option, try this method. If not, speaker stands are your best bet.
Try using this system in a larger room. Otherwise, in a small room, all the speakers will stick to the walls. Another problem for such a large system in a very small room is that sound waves start to bounce off hard objects. As a result, the sound effect is completely changed and the sounds mixed together. That is why it is advisable not to choose a small room for a large surround sound system.
Bipolar and dipole speaker placement
The placement of the bipolar and dipole speakers is also good. It completely depends on your preference. Both speakers work the same way. Best of all, you don't have to worry about their placement, as they radiate sound in different directions.
There are actually two sets of drivers inside it that do this job. The sound keeps moving in the room. You will experience sound coming from different directions and it's a funny phenomenon.
Such speakers must be placed close to the walls. However, you don't need to adjust their angle, as I told you that they themselves radiate sound in all directions. Bipolar or bipolar speakers offer more flexibility with proper placement. Its ideal angle is 90 degrees.
Dolby Atmos and DTS: X System
You can do a lot with placing Dolby Atmos or DTS:X sound systems. You can fix them inside the ceiling speakers or up, depending on your choice. This system actually starts with 5.1 and 7.1 configurations. From there, you can easily add at least 4 speakers to this system.
For DTS: X system, place the speakers at the most suitable height and position from your main seating point, defining the speaker positions where the sound effects will be the best. Surprisingly,Dolby Atmos has over 11 channels.
The reason to use the subwoofer is for bass production. It's hard to recognize where the low frequencies come from. As a result, placement of subwoofers is less critical than placement of speakers. After placing all the speakers in the system, place the subwoofers where there is adequate space.
Even so, you can improve your subwoofer's output by placing it in a corner of the room. It will then reverberate against the walls. This will add to your bass experience. However, if you share a wall with a neighbor (or even a room where someone sleeps), they might not appreciate your improved sound.
Sometimes the placement of subwoofers can produce super-powerful bass that is inaudible for a long period of time. The shape of your room will also greatly affect this.
Another thing you can do if you have a larger room is to add an additional 5.2 or 7.2 subwoofer setup. The easiest way to test the sound in this case is to ask someone else for help. Ask them to sit in their centralized seat. Then move the subwoofer to different places. Ask him what position the best effects are coming from.
Don't try to place the subwoofers exactly the same distance from opposite walls. (Or like having a subwoofer left and right.) Speakers can be placed this way, but subwoofers cannot. As the subwoofers are placed in front of each other, they cancel their waves. As the waveforms reflect back to the same point, they eventually cancel each other out.
Speaker placement tips for surround sound
You can select any of these systems based on your room type and size. As each room is different from each other.
- Larger rooms require larger systems.
- You don't have to worry about the distance between the speakers and the walls. A good rule of thumb is that the distance should be about two feet.
- If your room is too small to get the right speaker placement angles, try doing that placement in another room.
- You can choose the 5.1. 7.1, 9.1 or any of the other surround sound systems as per your choice and taste.
- For systems that also have a subwoofer to boost bass, place your subwoofers after tuning all speakers. Experiment with proper placement for the best bass effects.
- You can use stands or place the speakers higher as you wish.
- You must try to manipulate everything. Ear-level placement is ideal for speaker setup.
- Make sure the central location or main seating spot is almost in the center corner of your room. If the seating/couch spot is close to the wall, adjust the speakers accordingly. You can place the surround speakers at a 90 degree angle in this case. Surround sound system pacing is all about math.
- The ideal angles for the front left and right speakers are 22 to 30 degrees.
- Avoid corner locations and try to remove obstructions as best you can.
Speaker system test
One of the most important factors for speaker placement in surround sound systems is testing. Listening to your system and experimenting with its various levels will give you the best experience for all your hard work.
Continuous testing of your speakers and subwoofers will keep your system in check. You can do this yourself or with the help of another person. Try different positions with the subwoofer and ask the other person which one sounds best.
Play any music or constant music. Sit in the center position and listen carefully to the sound. This will give you the satisfaction of having made the correct entries. Asking someone else will also give you a better idea and may confirm all your hard work.
There's nothing to worry about. Just confidently place all the speakers and test each time. You will end up creating the best surround sound system in your home. Try to get the exact angle or closest to the ideal one.
So following all thisspeaker guideWith surround sound placement, you can create and enjoy your own home theater environment.
Read here about:
- How to choose a soundbar?
- Best surround sound system 2019
- Best Bluetooth FM Transmitter 2019
- Best Bluetooth Car Stereo 2019
- Home stereo system for 2019
- Best 6×9 speakers
- The best headrest monitors
- Soundbar placement options
- Reviews of the best soundbar of 2019
- How to clean a subwoofer?
- Reviews of the best portable Bluetooth speakers of 2019